How to crack an egg???- Cooking Adventures Day 1.



I have had a pasta machine since December, but yesterday was the first time I really made pasta. As soon as my dad and I heard the school was being canceled, we decided to sign up for a MasterclassThe idea is to take lessons in any skill by a master, whether it be Tennis from Serena Williams, Photography from Annie Leibovitz or the class I took, cooking from world-renowned chef Gordon Ramsey. The issue was, Masterclass ended up being a lot more expensive than we were hoping for because it's billed annually. So, we decided to see if it was worth it during a weekend-long trial. I cleaned the countertops and started watching.

Here are a few things we noticed.
  • How to crack an egg?? Gordon Ramsey or My Dad?
    • My dad was taught by his mother to hold an egg in his right hand and crack it on the countertop, while Gordon Ramsey cracked it on the bowl. I didn't know which one to do: family traditions or world-renowned chef and reality tv show star who travels the world to give cooking lessons (I decided to crack three my dad's way and three Gordon Ramsey's.)?
    • The second dilemma was when the recipe said to separate the yolk from the egg whites. My dad told me to wash my hands, and then crack (on the countertop) the egg into another bowl and pull it out. Gordon Ramsey, however, told me to crack the egg along it's middle and use the shell to separate yolk from egg whites. 
      • I tried the Gordon Ramsey way and it failed. Gordon Ramsey: 0, Dad 2 (one for the egg- cracking, and one for the "raising me" thing). 
  • Dough on the computer
    • I was frantically rushing from the computer, to project, and back again, trying to perfect the Gordon Ramsey dough- making movements, when I realized that a lot of the dough ended up on the computer keys & mouse. 
  • I wanted pasta for lunch!!
    • I made the pasta thinking it would fill the fridge and I would have enough for lunch for the entire week, but my family loved it so it was gone in a jiffy. 
This was a great recipe from Gordon Ramsey's Masterclass and if you are looking for a pasta recipe, use this one! 

-Natalie
*Recipe and pictures in next post*

Comments